Tuesday 5 August 2008

Viva La Vida


I’m not a huge Coldplay fan, but I like them enough to own their albums. Mostly, I find their pretentiousness and Chris Martin’s holier-than-thou attitude a little off putting. What I am loving though, is Viva La Vida, a song from their new album of the same name.

The song is about the Crusades apparently, which is a rather interesting topic to write a song about. Trust Coldplay to shun the ‘usual’ songwriting topics of love, loss and hope to write about one of the bloodiest and pointless battles in World history. Although I suppose you could argue that the Crusades were all about love, loss and hope... clever.

The reason I love this song is simple – it makes me want to dance like Chris Martin, in that jerky, ‘i-have-a-stick-up-my-arse-and-i’m-trying-to-dislodge-it?’ way. The strings that start with that jaunty da,dun,dun,da,da,da,dun; the engaging story of a man who had everything and lost it; lyrics like 'Just a puppet on a lonely string. Oh, who would ever want to be king?’ just make my heart happy and I can’t explain it. I love every second of the 4:06 play time. According to itunes, it’s been played twenty-four times when the rest of tracks on the album have been played twice.

Posted By: Cat

No comments: